MAYNARD DESIGN + ARCHITECTURE is a small, collaborative design firm that focuses on creating elegant, functional and appropriate responses to the individual requirements of each client and each project. We aspire to provide the highest-quality design and prioritize a balance of aesthetics, energy performance and craftsmanship, while providing excellent service to our clients.
MD+A offers a range of architectural design and planning services for residential and small institutional, academic, and commercial clients. We also provide interior and landscape design services as well as assistance with site selection, site planning and development.
In addition to our architecture practice, we enjoy designing and occasionally fabricating furniture and architectural components as innovative solutions to unique and unusual situations.
Please contact us to begin a discussion. We look forward to hearing about your project!
- Site Selection, Planning & Development
- Residential, Small Institutional, Academic, and Commercial Architecture
- Interior Design
- Landscape Design
- Design & Fabrication (In-house or Bid-out) of furniture and architectural components
The first step of the process is to involve us in the discussion, so please contact us. At an initial meeting we will introduce ourselves, our approach and get a feeling for the project’s goals and parameters. We will then follow up with a proposal for services. Projects will typically follow some or all aspects of the following process:
- Existing Conditions: Gather information on the project from existing plans, field measurements and surveys. Draft this information into the appropriate drawing formats (plans, sections, elevation, and models).
- Schematic Design & Design Development: Explore various conceptual alternatives based on the scope of the project. Meet to discuss the proposed options. Refine and resolve the accepted scheme into a developed design.
- Construction Documents: Produce detailed drawings suitable for bidding, permitting and construction
- Bid Administration: Assist with identification and selection of suitable builders and contract negotiation
- Construction Administration: observe and collaborate with the builder to confirm the satisfactory execution of the design. Through this process we will arrive at a considered response to the various criteria of your project and assist in its realization.
We look forward to talking with you about your project!
Work in progress
- Cuttyhunk Island House
- Cambridge Traditional Office Building Renovation/Addition
- Deck House Renovation
- deCordova Museum Cafe Trellis
- Home Office Interior
- Kitchen/Mudroom/Bath renovations
Who we are
NICK MAYNARD, AIA
Harvard Graduate School of Design, MArch
Colorado College, BA (Geology)
AIA (American Institute of Architects)
Licensed Architect, Massachusetts
NCARB (National Council of Arch. Registration Boards)
University of Maryland, MArch
University of Virginia, BA
Interior Design / Graphic & Web Design
Harvard Graduate School of Design, MDesS
Colorado College, BA
Affiliations & Boards
AIGA (American Institute of Graphic Arts)
deCordova Sculpture Park & Museum, Overseer